Bob Woodruff Foundation grants invest in programs that help our service members, veterans, and their families and caregivers thrive. In 2020, we have adjusted our grantmaking to address the urgent needs of the military-veteran community during COVID-19.
On April 2, 2020 the Bob Woodruff Foundation released a pivotal paper entitled, “Veterans and COVID-19: Projecting the Economic, Social, and Mental Health Needs of America’s Veterans.”
In response to the findings outlined in the paper, the Bob Woodruff Foundation continues to raise funds to support service members, veterans, caregivers and military families. We conducted an expedited grant cycle to fund programs providing direct support to the military/veteran population during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Based on the overwhelming response to our expedited grant cycle, BWF is adjusting our 2020 grantmaking approach to focus on priority, near-term needs.
- Following the release of our Veterans and COVID-19 paper, we pivoted our Spring cycle to address immediate needs.
- We also opened an expedited cycle to add support when and where it is needed most.
- In just two weeks, we received over 400 applications requesting more than $35 million in support.
- Based on our initial evaluation of the applications, we will have almost 6 times more need than we can grant this year.
- With so much immediate need coupled with a rapidly changing landscape due to the outbreak, BWF expedited what would have otherwise been our Fall grant cycle, and began granting those funds in June.
- At this time, we don’t expect to open another grant cycle this year for additional applications, but with such an unpredictable situation, there may be updates to this approach.
BWF is currently evaluating applications. BWF will consider all applications received during the 2020 Spring and 2020 Expedited Grant Cycles, and request revisions as necessary. Organizations that have already submitted 2020 applications to BWF do not need to resubmit applications.
BWF is not accepting unsolicited requests for funding at the time. We will be posting information about our Spring 2021 grant cycle soon.